1996-03-03 - Re: Duress

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3cbbd6eebc69830a29d8613ceeaf46113c61d918df7413179deb293cc60d3498
Message ID: <199603032311.PAA16326@netcom7.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 07:56:53 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 07:56:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Duress

At  2:49 PM 3/3/96 -0500, Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:

>As a side remark, every burglar alarm connected to a phone that I've ever seen
>has this feature: a code that one can type under duress that will both turn
>off the alarm and call for help. I wonder how many users will remember this
>code when under duress.

The air-transport system has had a Hijack transponder code for years.  The
pilot dials it into the air traffic system radar transponder when the plane
is hijacked.  However there is a problem.

One of the private pilot magazines reported that a small plane operator
used the code (because his airplane was, in fact, being hijacked).  When he
landed the airplane, it was surrounded by LEA, and in the ensuing gun
battle, everyone on the airplane died.  The went on to say that the safety
of the passengers and airplane are the pilot's primary responsibility and
that pilots should consider this incident when deciding to use the code.

Duress codes need to be designed to minimized the chance of such responses
when they are used.

Regards - Bill

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread