1996-03-30 - Re: New crypto bill to be introduced

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 3fc868af05e01b0ef8404ebf286983df824bc8f51418ea16ff5b217c175674e9
Message ID: <olLK_qC00YUvE6poEO@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <m0u2lOI-0008xVC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-30 20:18:09 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 04:18:09 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 04:18:09 +0800
To: jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: New crypto bill to be introduced

A few responses to Jim Bell:

* Why would Sen. Burns introduce *this* particular crypto bill? Would
you believe that he wanted to appear cyber-clueful and net-friendly, but
didn't know exactly how to do that -- so certain people suggested that
this bill would be an appropriate way to do it?

* Why would Sen. Burns introduce this particular bill *now*? One word: CFP.

* Why would Jim Bell post anonymously? He writes:

> That is a silly conclusion.  The primary reason for anonymity with such
> postings is to avoid controversy being associated with one's name.  I, as

No, the primary reason for anonymity is to avoid being *associated* with
one's name. I know this may be attributing an undeserved sense of
precedence, but perhaps Jim Bell has realized that his opinions are
discarded out-of-hand by many on this list, so he posts anonymously to
regain some credibility. A message from anonymous would also work nicely
to reinforce his own position, allowing Jim Bell to claim additional
allies.

Anyway, last night I sat next to Dorothy Denning on the bus to the EFF
Pioneer Awards reception and dinner, and we chatted for about 20
minutes. She's a sweet old lady -- I can't think of anyone with whom
it's easier to agree to disagree. I asked her what she thought of a
number of people -- on Tim May she said: "Let's not talk about that."
She also said she's educating a House committee about crypto next week
-- I dearly hope our side will have some experts there as well.

-Declan

Excerpts from cypherpunks: 29-Mar-96 Re: New crypto bill to be i.. by
jim bell@pacifier.com

Thread