1996-03-28 - Re: HP & Export of DCE

Header Data

From: Howard Melman <melman@osf.org>
To: janzen@idacom.hp.com
Message Hash: 40371acf84e16ebab9bb9555b1234b2dd9f82fd77595972c8b05d38707c35a21
Message ID: <9603281542.AA05950@absolut.osf.org.osf.org>
Reply To: <199603271619.LAA08716@homeport.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-28 15:46:18 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Mar 96 07:46:18 PST

Raw message

From: Howard Melman <melman@osf.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 96 07:46:18 PST
To: janzen@idacom.hp.com
Subject: Re: HP & Export of DCE

On Wed Mar 27, 1996, Martin Janzen wrote:

> Another "RPC" comes from the Open Software Foundation, who unfortunately
> chose the same acronym for the remote procedure calling mechanism in their
> Distributed Computing Environment (DCE).  This DCE is a part of the OSF/1
> operating system, but implementations are available for many versions of
> UNIX, often as a separate product or option.  The DCE Security Services
> are discussed a bit in the DCE FAQ [4], and O'Reilly has an entire book
> on the subject [5].

The product is called DCE RPC and the RPC is used
generically as you stated in the beginning of your note.
There are many RPCs in the world, aside from the ones you
listed.  DCE RPC is also known as ISO RPC as the standard is
based on DCE.  MS RPC is also based on DCE RPC as you
stated.

DCE is not part of OSF/1 but is middleware supporting
distributed computing which is available on virtually all
platforms: (Unixes, Windows, Cray, MVS, VMS, Mac is in beta,
etc.)  Yes, one of the reference ports was OSF/1.  We sell
the source code separately.

We are now seeing OSs bundled with DCE client software.
The most recent versions of HP/UX and AIX for example.

For more info on DCE see http://www.osf.org/dce/

Howard

--

Howard R. Melman              ___   ___   ___            Voice: 617-621-8989
Open Software Foundation     /  /  /__   /__               Fax: 617-621-2782

Thread