1996-03-23 - http://anarchy-online.dementia.org/book/

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4126e08902ebbf463130c9c5411cb5a186953fb5219f5cab691cb8aaa9d7df84
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960322210713.13941F-100000@eff.org>
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 22:15:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 22:15:07 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: http://anarchy-online.dementia.org/book/

[I'm not associated with this book except that I helped HTMLize it.
-Declan]

                    For Immediate Release

         A New Book Investigating Sex on the Internet
        is Pre-Published, Free, via the World Wide Web

While the fate of online freedoms is being determined by
federal judges in Philadelphia, a contributing writer to
Wired magazine has decided to give away his investigative
book on the subject.

Charles Platt spent six months gathering data about netporn
for a book to be published later this year by HarperCollins.

According to Platt, "My publishers hoped to rush the book
into print. When their plans changed as a result of factors
outside my control, I decided the material was so topical and
so important, it should be placed freely on web sites."

Titled ANARCHY ONLINE, the book is divided into two parts.
The first deals with net crimes such as hacking, viruses, and
data piracy. Platt includes first-hand descriptions of
hackers and pirates and debunks myths created by melodramatic
press coverage.

Part Two of the book explores free speech online and examines
netporn more frankly and in greater depth than has been
achieved elsewhere. Platt concludes that although a genuine
problem does exist, a "war on porn" will be as unwinnable,
expensive, and divisive as the "war on drugs."

Part Two of the book contains about 65,000 words and is being
placed online in its entirety. It includes transcripts from
pornographic IRC chat sessions and sexually oriented Usenet
news groups; a look at pedophilia on America Online; a new,
damning investigation of Martin Rimm (whose porn study was
immortalized in Time magazine); and a reassessment of issues
raised by Jake Baker (who faced years in jail after he placed
sadistic stories on Usenet). Platt also examines federal
attempts to control encryption; the Guardian Angels;
anonymous remailers; repressive laws at the state level;
content-filtering software; and content rating schemes. There
are exclusive interviews with Scott Charney at the Department
of Justice, Ann Beeson of ACLU, Louis Rossetto and Kevin
Kelly of Wired magazine, anti-child-porn crusader Barry
Crimmins, David Chaum of DigiCash, and Phil Zimmermann,
creator of PGP. Many other industry figures and commentators
make cameo appearances.

Platt concludes that net fears have been exaggerated and
demands for censorship are unwarranted. "Most people who want
to censor the net don't use it and are willfully ignorant of
it. They tend to be religious extremists and opportunistic
legislators looking for a hot-button issue. I question their
right to inflict laws on a community that they don't live in
and know nothing about."

Platt feels that if widely available methods are used to
control access by children, the net can be safer than a day-
care center. "My daughter started net surfing when she was
15. Even if children have totally unrestricted access, the
net is still more benign than most real-world environments. I
believe this is thoroughly substantiated by my book."

ANARCHY ONLINE is freely available at
http://anarchy-online.dementia.org/book/

Charles Platt is the author of 40 books, ranging from
computer guides to science fiction. His novel PROTEKTOR was
published this year by Avon Books. He is a contributing
writer to Wired magazine and has an article on net censorship
in the current issue, dated April.

Platt can be contacted at (212) 929 3983 or via email at
cp@panix.com.