1996-03-31 - Re: PGP Crack???

Header Data

From: Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
To: Mike Duvos <mpd@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 438a460de7305f9edbe75d8ad18ca5cdea1fd6220ad63378719b9aafaa58c3d4
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.92.960330141236.24223B-100000@eskimo.com>
Reply To: <199603300650.WAA06087@netcom15.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-31 05:29:33 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 13:29:33 +0800

Raw message

From: Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 13:29:33 +0800
To: Mike Duvos <mpd@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: PGP Crack???

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Mike Duvos wrote:

> On a more serious note, does anyone know what is happening
> with Arjen Lenstra and RSA-130?  Last I heard back in late
> December, FAFNER, the magic WWW sieving dragon, had collected
> more than enough relations from participants to yield a
> factorization.  Surely they have not spent an additional four
> months crunching the big boolean matrix at CWI.

Apparently the Cray they are using to crunch the matrix is busy with
higher priority users and they have not been able to squeeze in enough CPU
time.  I was told at the beginning of March that they didn't expect to
finish before late April, but now it looks like the job will take another
two to three months.  Anyone got a spare supercomputer laying around?

Wei Dai

Thread