1996-03-12 - Re: How would Leahy bill affect crypto over HAM radio?

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Ed Carp <wb8foz@nrk.com>
Message Hash: 5f83c20c71b4e26b1514dfff288154b67c6ae1d1496e3284c09e50bfa9eac1c4
Message ID: <m0twCzp-0008yoC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:18:33 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:18:33 +0800
To: Ed Carp <wb8foz@nrk.com>
Subject: Re: How would Leahy bill affect crypto over HAM radio?

At 08:36 PM 3/10/96 +0000, Ed Carp wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, David Lesher wrote:
>

>> > Subject asks it. I'm not a HAM, but still curious. Wonder if anyone
>> > has brought this to Leahy's attention...
>> >
>> > Comments from the packet folx on the list?
>>
>> Non-cleartext has been forbidden for last 60 years anyhow.
>
>Not quite.  Anything intended to hide the meaning of the message is
>banned.  Compression isn't banned, because the intention is to make more
>efficient use of the frequency, not to hide the meaning.
>--
>Ed Carp, N7EKG

Even so, it isn't clear that this new law WON'T change the rules under which
hams operate.  An affirmative statement of the right to use encryption would
seem to pre-empt prior bans, except if there was some sort of explicit
exception for over-the-air transmissions.  After all, the law was written
broadly, and presumably is to be interpreted broadly.  It if doesn't list or
single out any particular medium (text on paper; Internet; modem/telephone;
etc) then it may reasonably be assumed to apply to all media.

Not that such an interpretation will necessarily be welcomed by some hams:
Part of the reason for maintaining the ban on encryption would be the fear by
hams that ham bandwidth will be surreptiously used by commercial services
masquerading as ham users.  Encryption would make such usage difficult to
detect.

However, I happen to believe that hams should be entitled to use good
encryption, for voice and data communication.

Jim Bell, N7IJS

jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread