1996-03-26 - Re: So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary? (Was List O’ , shame)

Header Data

From: sameer@c2.org
To: unicorn@schloss.li (Black Unicorn)
Message Hash: 6fcea344a19e0272b80b4278bd73ccd5faf66c41ff404d8834cb30380e4ecc9c
Message ID: <199603252051.MAA09766@atropos.c2.org>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960325153903.1146B-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-26 05:52:19 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:52:19 +0800

Raw message

From: sameer@c2.org
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:52:19 +0800
To: unicorn@schloss.li (Black Unicorn)
Subject: Re: So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary? (Was List O' , shame)

> Yes, I concede, there are significant logistical hurdles confronting the
> multi-jurisdictional crypto project.  One assumes, however, that the
> initial capital investment will be somewhat offset by the first in market
> advantage of the position.

	Yes, I would hope so.

> Further, a entirely foreign production, say for chip manufacture, would
> probably make things easier.  I had specifically contemplated hardware
> applications.  Indeed, there are problems with both, but they don't stem
> from ITAR.

	I see, yes.

> Are you talking specific licensing provisions, or implementation.  I
> don't follow.  (Though I'm fairly sure I'm missing something obvious).

	Well there are certain applications which personal users don't
really want to use. SSL webservers for example. Most individuals don't
have a need for an SSL webserver. RSA-in-hardware is also not needed
for most individuals, but high-traffic server applications which do
RSA operations really should start using RSA in hardware.
	Encrypted database applications (something I'm working on with
a friend) are another application which personal users don't really
care about, but corporate IS finds valuable. (Well, I hope they find
it valuable, otherwise our product won't sell.. the database guy says
he knows them well enough that they'll buy it though.)

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3