1996-03-12 - Re: TWP on Crypto Keys

Header Data

From: thad@hammerhead.com (Thaddeus J. Beier)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 75dca81e4a20843ff4e938504ad3fe976e7198564a9cc0a4a13714ffc4f4592f
Message ID: <199603120544.VAA02212@hammerhead.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 17:54:34 +0800

Raw message

From: thad@hammerhead.com (Thaddeus J. Beier)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 17:54:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: TWP on Crypto Keys

Somebody posted this editorial this morning, that includes the
following passage:

>    The Washington Post, March 11, 1996, p. A18.
>
>    Security and Software [Editorial]
>
>    Legislation introduced this month in both the House and the
>    Senate would ease the export restrictions while attempting
>    to meet some of the government's security concerns. Code
>    makers would deposit a "spare key" to any exported
>    encryption software with a trusted third-party agency...

Now, I thought that the bills did no such thing.  How could The
Washington Post get this so wrong?

As I understand it, the bills do not in any way tie export to
key escrow.  They mention key escrow only to the extent that
they specify that it is illegal to disclose the keys.

Why would the paper get this cockeyed?  Is it just a screwup,
or are they pushing for a change?

thad
-- Thaddeus Beier                     thad@hammerhead.com
   Technology Development                   408) 286-3376
   Hammerhead Productions        http://www.got.net/~thad

Thread