1996-03-28 - Re: Let’s NOT “Raise their Awareness”

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7752fdce31f85b0e28f639f964a7761a2ace9dc6b5d3bfa698fe0b4e4e919bc5
Message ID: <ad7f43b629021004db07@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 07:58:48 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 07:58:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Let's *NOT* "Raise their Awareness"

At 8:23 AM 3/27/96, Charles Bell wrote:

>Yes, and some years ago a State legislature (I forget which) passed a
>resolution setting the value of pi at exactly 3.  I'm not sure how they
>planned to enforce their will.  Do you know how the Texas judge means to
>enforce his?

By the way, this is a wonderful story to tell about the stupidity of
government, but, alas, most of it is urban legend. The Tennessee or
Kentucky (I forget which) state legislature did not actually pass such a
law....it was merely _proposed_ by some particular legislator, and then
never acted upon.

(I suspect an Alta Vista search might turn something up on this.)

As to the Texas court order...all sorts of restrictions are often imposed
in divorce custody cases (which this is). Sometimes it's that a child shall
not be exposed to second-hand smoke from one of the spouses (this has
happened here in California, such restrictions, that is), sometimes it's
other things.

Enforcement is by testimony of the child and reporting of violations to the
court. Child Protective Services probably has no involvement.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!