1996-03-31 - Re: Note: Problems Confronting the Asset Concealer [Part 1 of 2 of Volume I]

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Adam Shostack <unicorn@schloss.li (Black Unicorn)
Message Hash: 7e081f2dbd6b088b9e8cb38bc7335cf945b7f6894446ac4c201026391e9c0af0
Message ID: <m0u35gT-0008xzC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 11:54:33 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 11:54:33 +0800
To: Adam Shostack <unicorn@schloss.li (Black Unicorn)
Subject: Re: Note: Problems Confronting the Asset Concealer [Part 1 of 2 of Volume I]

At 10:40 AM 3/30/96 -0500, Adam Shostack wrote:
>Black Unicorn wrote:
>
>| While direct crypto relevance is limited, I thought that this work
>| might interest many on the list and so I decided to post it in any
>| event.  The sections on fourth and fifth amendment protections, or
>| lack thereof, for banking documents might shed some light on the
>| eventual disposition of crypto keys under the same circumstances.
>
>	Actually, this is not all all irrelevant.  The question of how
>a non-American living in the US can benefit from writign crypto code
>has been a topic of discussion the last few days.  A real
>understanding of laundering is needed for the time between now and
>when the bad guys stop trying to tax the non-physical.

While your interest in Unicorn's essay is understandable, I think you've
missed the problems with his point of view.  He's apparently suffering from
a disease which is supposed to be common among first year law students,
specifically:  Citing legal precedents as if they are some sort of justification
for themselves.  You correctly referred to "the bad guys" above as taxing
the non-physical, so you're obviously on the right track.  Unicorn, however,
does not REALLY think of them as being "the bad guys," in fact his gravy
train _depends_ on them!

It is this conflict of interest which drives him to cite precedent after
precedent as somehow supporting his nebulous positions.  What he misses is
that citing these precedents merely destroys whatever confidence we could
have in the legal system.  And since the legal system will be charged with
interpreting whatever bills are passed by Congress, by extension these
precedents show that all the all the potential benefits promised by bills
such as Leahy's are conditional.  Similarly, even a negative which appears
minimal today could easily turn into a "killer" problem tomorrow.

Peter Junger's analysis of the Leahy bill was far more useful, primarily
because it focussed on the areas that this bill could be abused.  Unicorn
cites cases of abuse frequently, but does not identify them as such, leading
me to conclude that all he can do is to cite precedent.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread