1996-03-29 - Netscape 2.01 fixes server vulnerabilities by breaking the client…

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8744177176acff447b4dd5216ac901e5bcf63c28e387f187d2416b05ea1eaf8f
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.92.960329011606.6636A-100000@elaine19.Stanford.EDU>
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 03:21:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 03:21:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Netscape 2.01 fixes server vulnerabilities by breaking the client...

Now I suppose they'll want me to fix all the pages where I do a finger
with a gopher://host:79/0user. Any chance this nonfix can be unfixed?

This nonfix was applied to the UNIX and Win32 versions; I haven't checked
the other platforms.

-rich

>From http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.01/relnotes/unix-2.01.html
>go to the security stuff and find:
>
>     * Relating to Ports:
>
>       2.01 fixes a problem where it was possible for a Gopher URL to be
>       used to send commands to ports other than those that were
>       reasonable for the Gopher service. It was possible that this
>       feature could be used to exploit other security vulnerabilities
>       behind firewalls. Navigator 2.01 fixes this problem by limiting
>       the ports that a Gopher URL can access and by disallowing certain
>       control characters in a valid Gopher URL.

Thread