1996-03-12 - Re: How would Leahy bill affect crypto over HAM radio?

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 89d52d215f498bfaa501a7c870c76f57a5ad687913a5b25713910c473e6831e6
Message ID: <199603121028.FAA08674@UNiX.asb.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 03:41:05 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 03:41:05 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: How would Leahy bill affect crypto over HAM radio?

jim bell wrote:

> Even so, it isn't clear that this new law WON'T change the rules under which
> hams operate.  An affirmative statement of the right to use encryption would
> seem to pre-empt prior bans, except if there was some sort of explicit
> exception for over-the-air transmissions.  After all, the law was written

I re-read the bill... it notes "wire" communications, as opposed to
all forms.  It also allows for previous restrictions to keep in
effect, I think.

Still, the distinction between wire and wireless is not clear anymore
with new technologies.  Certainly if enough HAMs pester Sen. Leahy
about this 'oversight' positive changes could be made.

[..]
> Not that such an interpretation will necessarily be welcomed by some hams:
> Part of the reason for maintaining the ban on encryption would be the fear by
> hams that ham bandwidth will be surreptiously used by commercial services
> masquerading as ham users.  Encryption would make such usage difficult to
> detect.

Interesting point...

Rob.

---
Send a blank message with the subject "send pgp-key" (not in
quotes) to <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com> for a copy of my PGP key.

Thread