1996-03-11 - Re: ADL_mil (militias and the USAF)

Header Data

From: Just Rich <rich@c2.org>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: 8bc335a7d327711f7ae85b89a0d8511cafe0cf7238535a492e6a397331996174
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960310154752.8213C-100000@infinity.c2.org>
Reply To: <199603102215.RAA05819@pipe2.nyc.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-11 00:54:01 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 08:54:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Just Rich <rich@c2.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 08:54:01 +0800
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: ADL_mil (militias and the USAF)

On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, John Young wrote:

>    "ADL Special Report: The Militia Movement in America."
>
>       A 1995 national survey by the ADL offers disturbing
>       evidence that the militia movement has continued to
>       grow. The ADL survey also found that many hard-core
>       militiamen believe that the United States Government
>       itself conducted the Oklahoma City bombing to create an
>       excuse for further depriving citizens of their
>       constitutional rights. A continuing flow of information
[...]
>    [Thanks to AF]

That info used to be available at http://www.pafb.af.mil/deomi/DEOMI.HTM
(the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute), under the "Special
Interest Groups" heading, but access was restricted to MilNet on Friday
when I pointed out, somewhat sarcastically, that they were violating the
ADL's copyrights. Geez, they *REALLY* don't want people accessing that
server; not only is it firewalled now, but they removed www.pafb.af.mil
from the public DNS (its IP address is 131.25.131.53). I guess the Air
Force can't take a joke (gee, I wonder why).

Anyway, if you're interested in a bunch of very interesting reports on
right-wing terrorist groups in the US, most of them dated August 1993, I
just might be able to put you in touch with someone who might have those
files in his or her N*tscape cache directory. My friend Cecelia points
out that the ADL made a few silly mistakes, though, like getting Neo-Nazi
leader William Pierce's birthdate wrong (Pierce is the wacko who wrote
The Turner Diaries, which inspired a tring of murders/bank robberies by
The Order and, more recently, Timothy McVeigh).

The general thrust of DEOMI seems to be that people in non-combat posts in
the military have every right to be involved with these jokers in their
off hours. There are several .mil addresses on the openly Neo-Nazi
Stormfront list -- and they're not all plants. In general, they'll only
investigate you if your paranoid fantasies about the Zionist Occupational
Government prompt you to get up in a tower and start shooting people.
Which has, of course, happened, so I have no problem whatsoever with the
USAF (or anyone else) talking to the ADL, as long as rights are respected.

-rich

Thread