1996-03-27 - Re: LIST OF SHAME VOLUNTEERS

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8e88e30d47d6aee825cbe48720fbf50e4097bcdc65bfb803ed57bd01b76dac16
Message ID: <199603260621.WAA13869@dfw-ix8.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:32:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:32:08 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: LIST OF SHAME VOLUNTEERS

At 09:55 AM 3/25/96 -0500, "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU> wrote:
>Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 25-Mar-96 Re: LIST OF SHAME
>VOLUNTEERS by Black Unicorn@schloss.li
>> I did a little weekend poking, I can confirm this.  If the Leahy bill
>> passes, it will be a surprise (putting it mildly).
>
>Especially since there are only -- how many? -- 40 or 50 days left in
>this legislative session.

It might almost be nice to have the legislative session go out on a note of
"We were working on a bill to re-emphasize the Constitutional right
to private speech" rather than a note of "We came for the pornographers,
and you narco-terrorist child-porn-hiding cryptographers* are next on our
List**!"

...especially if it gives us some slack time to improve the (serious)
weakness of the positive-sounding parts of the bill.  Is Senator Leahy
up for re-election this round?

==== content-downsized material follows ====
[**It's especially critical not to be Next on the List during the
first few months of the Buchanan administration....]
[*and your little dog, too!]

======
#--
#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215 pager 408-787-1281
# "At year's end, however, new government limits on Internet access threatened
# to halt the growth of Internet use.  [...] Government control of news media
# generally continues to depend on self-censorship to regulate political and
# social content, but the authorities also consistently penalize those who
# exceed the permissible."  - US government statement on China...

"SigFiles of Unusual Size?  I don't believe they exist!"

Thread