1996-03-06 - Re: Duress

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: Greg Rose <Greg_Rose@sydney.sterling.com>
Message Hash: 92056a28ed12659e620e6cf1fd483cd7ae50e7b1a56a7fd538bbcb403c9f8b68
Message ID: <199603040238.SAA09143@netcom7.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:11:29 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:11:29 +0800
To: Greg Rose <Greg_Rose@sydney.sterling.com>
Subject: Re: Duress

At 11:38 AM 3/4/96 +1000, Greg Rose wrote:
>  At  2:49 PM 3/3/96 -0500, Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:
>  One of the private pilot magazines reported that a small plane operator
>  used the code (because his airplane was, in fact, being hijacked).  When he
>  landed the airplane, it was surrounded by LEA, and in the ensuing gun
>  battle, everyone on the airplane died.  The went on to say that the safety
>  of the passengers and airplane are the pilot's primary responsibility and
>  that pilots should consider this incident when deciding to use the code.
>
>Actually, that is an urban legend which grew out
>of a real incident. What actually happened was
>that they thought the private pilot couldn't
>really have been hijacked, so when he landed *he*
>was arrested for creating a public nuisance or
>something. It wasn't till later, when they found
>the shotgun-toting druggie, that they believed
>him...
>
>Greg Travis was the pilot's name, I imagine
>AltaVista might find his original posting.

My posting, not Dr. Dimitri Vulis'.  I certainly don't remember your
version as the one I personally read.  The magazine could have been wrong,
but I don't think my memory of the article is far enough off for them to be
the same incident  BTW - I think the magazine was "Flying".

Regards - Bill

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread