1996-03-31 - Re: What backs up digital money?

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: 961c5298756253b472111df5a02f5060a4e8f27f2c660fc99ae1fd0c134b9fa7
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960330141633.9993B-100000@chivalry>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960330093914.13577C-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-31 06:16:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 14:16:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 14:16:11 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re: What backs up digital money?

[Everyone's ignoring the obvious answer: Exabyte's, silly :)]

I find it kind of strange that many people are advocating setting up
nano-currencies when lots of central-bank grownups in the EU are still
bang-up for monetary union. I'd be interested to hear why so many people
think the massive extra costs involved in adding 1000s of extra private
negotiable currencies will somehow be worth it (apart from FOREX and
derivatives arbitragers).

If I was going to create a purely digital currency I'd want to do it at a
supra-national scale (e.g. the Euro or maybe even the UNO); otherwise why
not just treat chaumian cash as just another payment instrument.

---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO

Thread