1996-03-14 - Re: Beat Remote Monitor Snooping?

Header Data

From: Roger Williams <roger@coelacanth.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9850af2e54dcd2324960511ae86bf0ffc4544d0b096ba8945dcb066a3734b3ec
Message ID: <9603140628.AA4032@sturgeon.coelacanth.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960313223844.19338E-100000@larry.infi.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-14 07:50:59 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:50:59 +0800

Raw message

From: Roger Williams <roger@coelacanth.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:50:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Beat Remote Monitor Snooping?

  > Visual contrast is not the same thing as frequency diffrence. It
  > is quite easy to measure extremely small changes of phase.

Apropos of *what*?!  If it was an NTSC colour TV; yes, you could
measure the colour by the phase of the 3.579 colour burst.  But modern
computer monitors (i.e. VGA) don't represent colour that way at all --
they use separate red, green, and blue video signals.  And the
original poster is correct -- it is extremely difficult to determine
which guns are generating any given pixel, using van Eck monitoring.

The only com/mil ELINT demo I've ever seen of a VGA monitor generated a
greyscale display.

  > Nice try, but no cigar.

If the shoe fits...

--
Roger Williams            PGP key available from PGP public keyservers
Coelacanth Engineering        consulting & turnkey product development

Thread