1996-03-30 - Re: Sun patch pulled

Header Data

From: Casper.Dik@Holland.Sun.COM (Casper Dik - ENS Network Security - Network Security Engineer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aa1bdd1ffe038a5e4dbfc71121160ad30978d8ccee274f13a54f308eb7dad444
Message ID: <199603290826.JAA01442@room101.Holland.Sun.COM>
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 19:14:47 +0800

Raw message

From: Casper.Dik@Holland.Sun.COM (Casper Dik - ENS Network Security - Network Security Engineer)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 19:14:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Sun patch pulled

>>I noticed that Sun's latest libc patch (101759-04) is empty.  Previous
>>versions contained the complete U.S. version of libc, including the
>>tres-dangerous DES and crypt functions.  In the current rev only the
>>README remains, presumably because:
>>	EXPORT INFORMATION: This patch includes code which performs
>>	cryptographic functions, which are subject to U.S. export
>>	control, and must not be exported outside the U.S. without
>>	prior approval of the U.S. government.  Prior export approval
>>	must be obtained by the user of this patch.

>The 101759-?? patch is missing from the Feb 1996 SunSolve Patches CD. However
>if one pops in the November 1995 Patches CD there is a nice little copy of
>the 101759-03 patch which also comes with the above warning and the DES
>enabled libraries.

The wide distribution of the DES enabled libc.so was a mistake, as it
made DES code available world wide.  Now it's no longer even available from
our patchserver in the local office in the Netherlands.

The "Doemstic" libc patch is only required for thsoe sites that have installed
the "U.S. Encryption kit".

If you can't get hold of the patch through official channels, it
*is* possible to take the international version, take the DES modules
from your U.S. Encyption kit and build a new libc.a and libc.so
(the latter utilizing the files form /usr/lib/shlib.etc).
It's a lot more work, but unfortunately Sun can't distribute the
library the easy way.

Casper

Thread