1996-03-25 - Crypto CD UpDate

Header Data

From: Bholiday <bholiday@trader.tlx.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b18040ce9476d39d587c19663e2dc0a92e7e30bb2effd73428a6c5980f3cab95
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960324235254.7619A-100000@trader.tlx.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 17:28:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Bholiday <bholiday@trader.tlx.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 17:28:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto CD UpDate

Well given the somewhat enthusiastic response to my last post, I think
I'll be safe enough in going ahead with plans for the CryptoCD. Thanks to
everyone who responded, and I apologize that I can't address each of you
individually.

Some points...

Copyrights:

Obviously care will need to be taken to avoid publishing
copyrighted materials, or publishing materials in violation of their
distribution agreements. More later.

Size/Contents/Etc:

The media and cost of writing the disks is the same for 50megs as for 500.
If I/We can put together 500 megs of content, I will gladly put 500 megs
on a CD, however this will honestly require some assistance by the crypto
community.

Authors:

 OK, I had a number of authors suggest inclusion of their package on any
forthcoming CD. I intend to have several machines hitting the net for
aprox. 8-10hours a day over the next few weeks to gather up files for
inclusion; however to speed things along it would be really great if
authors could MIME or UUE their package and mail it to me, along with a
return email address, and preferably a snail-mail address also. If you do
send something for inclusion PLEASE include a breif note stating that you
give permision to distribute the package as part of the CryptoCD package.
If there is a license included in the package already (GNU, etc) you can
just state that the package can be distributed according to the included
license. I will include ANY package sent to me by an author, provided
that space is available, however if the program(s) seem unfamiliar or
questionable, I may put them in a Contrib directory with a strong disclaimer.

If you ARE NOT a software author, but you think something should be included,
send me email (privately, not to the list). Include a URL for the file, or
better yet, include the file in MIME or UUE format. Or be really nice and
snail-mail it. The first person to send me any particular
file or group of files (not a URL) will be duly thanked in a CREDITS file
on the CD. This is your chance to be famous for absolutely no reason at all.
If you don't want to be famous just say so and I'll forget I ever got
email from you.

Errata:

I'll be putting up a web page in the next few days which will have
daily status updates (oh boy) including an LS-lr of the CD-so-far.
Once the page is up, you'll want to check it if you are thinking of
sending something for inclusion.

I NEED URLS! If you know of a great FTP site, Please, send the address to
me.

I'd like to be able to offer a really comprehensive archive of as much
material as possible, at a break-even price. The amount of assistance the
people reading this list are willing to provide will be directly impact
the quality and quantity of content on the CD, and also how quickly I am
able to have the CD available. Any assistance would be truly appreciated.

Ben

Send Mail To:

bholiday@trader.tlx.net            (prefered)

bholiday@apollo.tlx.net            (prefered)

ncognito@gate.net                  (bad idea -- remailer and list mail could
                                    cause mail to be deleted without being
                                    viewed)

Gate net has an absolute quota of around 12 megs, so mail sent there may
bounce if I get bombarded. Apollo and Trader allow me unlimited space,
and are prefered.

If you want to be really nice to me, put it on floppy and mail it to me -
My Snailmail address is available on request. If you snail-mail materials
for inclusion, I'll pay shipping for any CD's you buy.

Thread