1996-03-13 - Re: frequency of remailer use?

Header Data

From: Mutant Rob <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
To: “Mark M.” <markm@voicenet.com>
Message Hash: b40fe4e1e072b45e2faceeb069815926c4175a6c9f90adeea0ee28db50a5c101
Message ID: <31467016.662D@unix.asb.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960309162300.1148A-100000@gak>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-13 09:10:04 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 17:10:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Mutant Rob <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 17:10:04 +0800
To: "Mark M." <markm@voicenet.com>
Subject: Re: frequency of remailer use?

Mark M. wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Mar 1996, Michael Froomkin wrote:
>
> > I would be very grateful for pointers to data concerning the number of
> > messages that pass through remailers.  (Not anon.penet.fi -- real
> > remailers.) I am currently in a conversation with a journalist who should
> > know better, but claims that secure anonymous remailers are never used by
> > anyone -- just a curiosity.
>
> For most remailers, you can get the usage statistics by sending a message
> to the remailer with the subject line "remailer-stats."

Problem is that chaining interferes with this.

A better way is to skin certain types of newsgroup headers over a period of
time (a week or two) for messages sent from remailers.  It will also give
some stats as to what kinds of topics to people prefer anonymity.

It's also rather interesting to see how much remailer traffic is used for
posting rants/erotica/politically unpopular deas/heresies/criticism/
whistleblowing [I put these in the same category because they are related]
and how many use them for the sake of just being anonymous [a regular
participant who signs with an anonymous id/pgp-key but isn't necessarally
posting something that requires anonyimity... hard to distinguish from first
one though].

--Rob

Thread