1996-03-15 - Venona NSA web page

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b60d77e558b677040ccd86fdc32e41b0bec516f0e0aa3db3b79d73be427d0ed1
Message ID: <199603141942.LAA28926@netcom14.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:30:46 +0800

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:30:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Venona NSA web page

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 22:07:24 -0500
From: Ronald Pearce <ronald@cybercomm.net>
To: merkaba@styx.ios.com
Subject: VENONA PROJECT

http://www.nsa.gov:8080/docs/venona/venona.html

The VENONA Project

In July 1995 the Intelligence Community ended a 50-year silence regarding
one of cryptology's most splendid successes - the VENONA Project. VENONA was
the codename used for the U.S. Signals Intelligence effort to collect and
decrypt the text of Soviet KGB and GRU messages from the 1940's. These
messages provided extraordinary insight into Soviet attempts to infiltrate
the highest levels of the United States Goverment.

Today, we are proud to offer these exceptional documents on the NSA home
page and we invite you to study and interpret them in the context of
history. NSA will declassify over 2200 messages related to VENONA. We
believe they will not only provide a window into Soviet espionage during the
1940's, but will also give you a glimpse of the important contributions
signals intelligence and cryptographic expertise make to our nation's security.

- - -Ron

"We're all pawns, my dear... your move?" No. 66,

- - --The Prisoner "Arrival"