1996-03-01 - Re: X.509 certs that don’t guarantee identity

Header Data

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b6a142bb8e87ac2dd6b7acfc6feb084d2950619eba4ec248e8a73a803a84d1ff
Message ID: <31360533.1CFB@netscape.com>
Reply To: <199602260448.WAA01201@proust.suba.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-01 00:03:17 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 08:03:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 08:03:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: X.509 certs that don't guarantee identity

Michael A. Atzet wrote:
> Jeff Weinstein wrote:
> >
> >   The navigator will not be configured to automatically trust the
> > verisign level 1 and 2 certificates for SSL servers.  You will get
> > the same warning dialog with these certs as you do with one you
> > generate on your own.
> >
> How will Navigator differentiate between the different level certs? I
> am not aware of any fields in the cert itself that designate what
> level it is.  I know that the subject info would "look" different for
> a persons name vs. email address vs commom name.

The different levels of certificate are signed by different CA certs.

--
Sure we spend a lot of money, but that doesn't mean | Tom Weinstein
we *do* anything.  --  Washington DC motto          | tomw@netscape.com

Thread