1996-03-23 - Re: New Beta Test of PGPfone available WINDOWS ‘95 Included!

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: Ted Garrett <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (Mutatis Mutantdis)
Message Hash: b7b617aabada3304ff8c1eb5f67d9df2c6b60a0ab265042bf5df81d5ef4e3f93
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960323204011.009396d4@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:53:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:53:40 +0800
To: Ted Garrett <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (Mutatis Mutantdis)
Subject: Re: New Beta Test of PGPfone available WINDOWS '95 Included!

At 01:49 PM 3/23/96 -0500, Ted Garrett wrote:

>>Will there ever be a Win32s version of PGPfone?  I have one of those systems
>>with non-(MS)DOS partitions that MS-DOS/Wind95 doesn't like, so until MS can
>>deal with the fact that people use other OSs, I'm staying clean of Win95.
>
>Windows95 doesn't complain at all about other operating systems resident on
your
>machine, nor does it invalidate partitions which it can't read.  You just
can't access
>the partitions.

Win95 does alter the Master Boot Record on the drive.  This tends to screw
up previously installed boot managers.  Reinstalling lilo (or whatever boot
manager you use) usually does the trick.  (The MBR changes do not seem to be
a requirement.  I have no idea why they do it.  Maybe to make sure that you
use *ONLY* Mr. Bill's OS.)

I get around the problem by having removable drives.  (Each one with a
different OS.)  Avoids having to deal with the chance of messing up all of
my operating systems at once...

---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon

Thread