1996-03-02 - Re: A brief comparison of email encryption protocols

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: c6a7fdd7028ddacda15c94c33c89d80654b45d89cb4438243630f28faf82450e
Message ID: <199603010356.WAA10509@homeport.org>
Reply To: <199602292135.QAA18937@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-02 06:28:08 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 14:28:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 14:28:08 +0800
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: A brief comparison of email encryption protocols

In suggesting key:// urls, I (without commenting) placed a path of
/s/telnetd/ in a URL.  I was considering that a telnetd might need
many keys and associated documents, all of which could be found in a
directory.

	gateway's master telnetd public key.
	daily keys
	policy statements about who may connect, or how
	etc

I expect that we could extend the syntax in such a way that a URL
could contain most of the data we need.  Thus, the default document
might be a 'cert of the day,' with possibly with references within the
certificate to the master telnetd key, the hosts master key.

	To expand, I was thinking of:

	key://foo.bar.com/{u,s,h,d}/family/instance

	The first two bits, the scheme (key) and host are pretty
clear.  They're followed by an (arbitrary) grouping, of User, System,
Host or Domain.

	User is for user space certificates, such as personal
certs, or possibly currently in use IPv6 keys.  System is for system
daemons, such as telnetd.  Host is for host certificates, such as
might be generated for a host to sign its daemon's keys.  Domain could
be analogous to host, but for an entire domain.

	Family is for natural groupings, such as telnetd or adam, or
within a domain, certificates by host.  An thus a host's certificates
would be available under h/main/cert.asc or d/mailhost/cert.asc.  It
would be possible to extend this by date, to
d/mailhost/96/march/cert.asc

	Instance would then be the particular certificate, in a
standardized namespace.

	These are no longer particularly short in the verbose version,
but they are capable of being optimized (by ommission) for the usual
cases.

Adam

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

| Carl Ellison writes:
| > Key: ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/cme/cme.asc
|
| URLs are nice, but I'm not quite sure they are sufficient in practice,
| though they are certainly theoretically sufficient. If I get a
| document from someone, and it is signed, I'd like to be able to get
| the key associated with the signature, and the URL is in theory enough
| to do that. However, going in the opposite direction -- retrieving a
| key associated with, say, a remote host's TELNET server, I'd like to
| be able to query a server ask much more flexible questions than an FTP
| URL would let me ask -- I might have a prefered public key system (RSA
| versus DSS or what have you), I might want to be able to distinguish
| between versions of the key, I might want to ask for all keys of a
| certain class, etc.
|
| In the end, we are probably going to need something in the way of key
| servers, which may (or may not) imply either a new type of URL or
| something other than a URL to do retrieval off of.
|
| Perry

					               -Hume

Thread