1996-03-05 - Re: (Fwd) Gov’t run anon servers

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Hal <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c98999bcc4e389d2af4a4074f3ca18901245124f0cd6df2c9e5fde0bd4596fed
Message ID: <m0tthV7-000915C@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 08:33:57 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 08:33:57 +0800
To: Hal <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  (Fwd) Gov't run anon servers

At 10:52 AM 3/4/96 -0800, Hal wrote:

>However, if I were a computer-savvy law enforcement agent, and I wanted
>to track messages through one of my remailers, I would try a
>technological approach.  I would first break the key for my remailer.
>That is trivial.  The passphrase is in PLAINTEXT in the script file
>which runs the remailer!.  It has to be.  That is true of all automated
>remailers.

Maybe I just don't know much about automated remailers, but I don't
understand why you said that the passphrase "has to be" in plaintext in the
script file.  I find this hard to believe.  While I am far from an expert on
cryptographic matters, I would assume that any received attempt at a
password could be securely hashed (128 bits?) and compared with a pre-stored
hash value.   If it's the same, it's assumed that the password was correct.

What's wrong with this?

Thread