1996-03-27 - Re: Bad news from Judge Richey

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: d08d0fbe32ebc12256cc76489badab7ee6b30a4b4c2aebe077e4b0cbaf27e534
Message ID: <ad7cc8b108021004a985@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:18:24 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:18:24 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Bad news from Judge Richey

At 3:28 AM 3/26/96, jim bell wrote:

>I realize that this may appear to be a rather disrespectful tactic, but have
>you considered reminding the judge that if you are not allowed to profit by
>exporting encryption that the government doesn't want to see exported,
>you'll just have to make money in some other way, and this may lead you to
>talk to Jim Bell about implementing a program using encryption that doesn't
>_need_ to be exported...legally anyway.

Whoahh! Hold on there, Jimbo! You're crossing the line.

You're coming perilously close to actually calling for the killing of a
federal judge. My recollection is that a couple of folks have been arrested
and charged for calling for the killing of judges.

You can skirt the issue by saying, in your "literal reading" mode, that you
have not called for any such thing. However, we have read your
"assassination politics" stuff ad nauseum, and it is clear from your
language above that you are suggesting that this judge be made the target
of one of your "betting pools." This is a plausible reading of your words.
What may save your bacon, if any law enforcement or district attorney types
are reading this, is that you are sort of the "neighborhood whacko" and
your ramblings are unlikely to be acted upon by anyone, including yourself.

Still, it does your "idea" no good to be talking about using your
"assassination politics" scheme to have a judge whacked.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!