1996-03-11 - PGP reveals the key ID of the recipient of encrypted msg

Header Data

From: savron@world-net.sct.fr
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d5651b468329f60d461466056b2db3e5bcf1865c94365b107b3e3b12c91fa440
Message ID: <199603110740.IAA06254@storm.certix.fr>
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:14:12 +0800

Raw message

From: savron@world-net.sct.fr
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:14:12 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGP reveals  the key ID of the recipient of encrypted msg

I began testing PGP  a few days ago ( I'm a PGP newbie ) and I found
that it gives out the key ID of an encrypted message . From this you
can get the  identification of the recipient of the message , if it's
someone who has publicaly  distributed his  key (keyserver , homepage
...) . So even if you are unable to decode the message you  can find
who is the recipient of a given message . I think this is a big
privacy problem .

The problem is carried along when you encrypt a message for multiple
recipients , you get the key IDs of all the recipients and same
problem as above .  I think something like 'blind email copy' should
be used , because the recipients don't have to know the identity of
each other .

Comments from long time PGPer  will be welcome

Thread