1996-03-09 - Re: Switchboard

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dba82d36af497bfb6a948f55876d785d50dfad248c9cf4cd34dff9ccdecb2a78
Message ID: <v02120d16ad6499bcc341@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 01:55:33 +0800

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 01:55:33 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Switchboard

At 2:27 AM 3/7/96, Bill Frantz wrote:

> I checked them out and the couldn't find my record.  Since I have a listed
> telephone number, I can only assume that their records do not include GTE
> local service records or some other equally huge gap.

I was messing around with this a year and a half ago (woulda shoulda
coulda), and my guess is they're using Reuben Donnelly's database. They're
the largest phonebook printer, and they even go so far as to OCR a lot, but
apparently not all, of their competition.

They say 90 million names, and that seems to be the number I was quoted...

Cheers,
Bob

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell
The e$ Home Page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/

Thread