1996-03-10 - Re: FCC & Internet phones

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
To: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Message Hash: dfc8fa3fe867d629910ea5f73112b8bc5438f7e94077d895f8870d18585daae3
Message ID: <199603100534.AAA17091@UNiX.asb.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 14:30:25 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 14:30:25 +0800
To: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: FCC & Internet phones

Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu> wrote:

> The real complaint of the telephone companies seems to be not that the
> calls are free, but that the 'whatevers' are not subject to the same
> tariff regulation that they are. I'm sure it's because they want to be
> able to lower their fees to the same level to compete. Quit sure.

How can one compare the fees, though?  You buy the software (or use a
free version of similar software) and get an account with an ISP, and
maybe an IRC-type network devoted to Internet phone.

Telephone/conferencing over the 'net is different technology than
standard telephone.  How can they be compared? (The exception maybe
if one can route an Internet phone call to regular phone switches.)

I notice it's the small LD companies too.  The biggies like AT&T and
MCI are getting into the ISP business, so they probably don't feel
threatened by it.

ObCrypto: I don't know. I'm wondering how the FCC or DT Bill will
affect the use of uch technologies, since it's pretty easy to plug in
good crypto.

Rob.

---
Send a blank message with the subject "send pgp-key" (not in
quotes) to <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com> for a copy of my PGP key.

Thread