1996-03-11 - Bell, Detweiler, Ravings, and Whatnot

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e174bd1d6815d7168afc3a86f2eb86d6e133ac7a06b42a902af71aa78df1629a
Message ID: <ad67e74a0f0210044ff0@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:39:27 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:39:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Bell, Detweiler, Ravings, and Whatnot

At 4:12 AM 3/10/96, jim bell wrote:

>In short, the government is trying to head off "crypto-anarchy," which I
>guess is Tim May's trademark.  I suggest that we don't allow them to; it
>will merely make the government's eventual end even bloodier.

Not my "trademark," though it was my coinage (in 1987). I'm happy it's
gaining usage, by people as diverse as David Friedman, Dorothy Denning, and
various journalists.

(By the way, I also figured out the anonymous markets for assassinations
bit, too, in 1988, and discussed it in detail then with Eric Drexler, Marc
Stiegler, Mark Miller, Robin Hanson, and others. Several of us on the
Extropians list discussed the implications, countersteps that might be
taken, etc., several years ago. I recall incisive comments by Robin Hanson,
David Friedman, Hal Finney, Nick Szabo, and others. And on this list, the
topic was discussed a bit later. The archives may be helpful...though I'm
not sure I want to help Jim Bell figure out the holes in his logic!)

Note to Jim: Your posts are getting longer and longer, often including huge
chunks of previous posts. I doubt many of us are reading these
"novellas"...I am responding to this part of your latest massive post
because I detected my name being used. I urge you to try to limit your
quoting to about a screenfull or so...this is what a lot of experience has
said is the maximum amount of quoting people are willing to deal with in
most cases.

And your insulting comments about people whom you disagree with, or people
whom you think are not taking your ideas seriously enough, are reminiscent
of the ravings of the last victim here of late stage Detweiler's Syndrome.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!