1996-03-03 - (Fwd) Gov’t run anon servers

Header Data

From: “James Caldwell” <jcaldwel@iquest.net>
To: chat@aen.org
Message Hash: e957b8cdd8dfb699a62460c9829911960f6ad114a8c4b62999de7641093d7383
Message ID: <m0ttM4O-004Xo1C@iquest.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 07:11:54 +0800

Raw message

From: "James Caldwell" <jcaldwel@iquest.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 07:11:54 +0800
To: chat@aen.org
Subject: (Fwd) Gov't run anon servers

This states that some  anonymous remailers are run by various gov't
and that encryption keys up to 1000 bits are crackable.

Whether this is true or disinformation, you are using a 1024 bit key
and all your messages through anonymous remailers are encrypted
aren't they?

Also note that while later versions of PGP are capable of larger
keys, that these versions of PGP are not known to be secure. PGP 2.3a
is the last version released prior to gov't interference.

PGP 2.3a will do 1264 bit keys if you enter 1264 in the box instead
of the number it askes for when if asks for the type of key security
you want.

alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.anonymous.messages,alt.anonymous,
talk.politics.crypto,alt.politics.org.covert,alt.politics.org.nsa,alt.politics.datahighway,
alt.culture.internet,alt.culture.usenet,alt.cyberspace,alt.conspiracy

From: an366601@anon.penet.fi (** CRAM **)
Date: Sun,  3 Mar 1996 13:15:55 UTC
Subject: Strassman & Marlow comment on NSA/remailers

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 16:14:37 -0800
To: pork@wired.com
From: kate@hotwired.com (Kate McKinley)
Subject: CIA and you
Sender: owner-pork@hotwired.com

>Sorry to send this through the "help email address" but I couldn't find
>your news email address.

>I attended last weeks "Information, National Policies, and International
>Infrastructure" Symposium at Harvard Law School, organized by the Global
>Information Infrastructure Commission, the Kennedy School and the
>Institute for Information Technology Law & Policy of Harvard Law School.

>During the presentation by Paul Strassmann, National Defense University
>and William Marlow, Science Applications International Corporation,
>entitled "Anonymous Remailers as Risk-Free International Infoterrorists"
>the questions was raised from audience (Professor Chaarles Nesson,
>Harvard LAw School) - in a rather extended debate - whether the CIA and
>similar government agencies are involved in running anonymous remailers
>as this would be a perfect target to scan possibly illegal messages.

>Both presenters explicitly acknowledged that a number of anonymous
>remnailers in the US are run by government agencies scanning traffic.
>Marlow said that the government runs at least a dozen remailers and that
>the most popular remailers in France and Germany are run by the
>respective government agencies in these countries. In addition they
>mentioned that the NSA has successfully developed systems to break
>encrypted messages below 1000 bit of key length and strongly suggested
>to use at least 1024 bit keys. They said that they semselves use 1024
>bit keys.

>I ask Marlos afterwards if these comments were off or on record, he
>paused then said that he can be quoted.

>So I thought I pass that on. It seems interesting enough, don't you
>think?

>Best

>Viktor Mayer-Schoenberger
>Information Law Project
>Austrian Institute for Legal Policy

Kate McKinley
kate@hotwired.com

CAVE CANUM

 \   \   \   \   \   \   \   \   \   |   /   /   /   /   /   /   /   /   /   /
          _______       ________          _____        _____  _____
         ///   \\\      |||   \\\        /// \\\       |||\\\///|||
        |||     ~~      |||   ///       |||   |||      ||| \\// |||
        |||     __      |||~~~\\\       |||~~~|||      |||  ~~  |||
         \\\   ///      |||    \\\      |||   |||      |||      |||
          ~~~~~~~       ~~~     ~~~     ~~~   ~~~      ~~~      ~~~
 /   /   /   /   /   /   /   /   /   |   \   \   \   \   \   \   \   \   \   \

C y b e r s p a t i a l  R e a l i t y  A d v a n c e m e n t  M o v e m e n t

--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--***ATTENTION***
Your e-mail reply to this message WILL be *automatically* ANONYMIZED.
Please, report inappropriate use to                abuse@anon.penet.fi
For information (incl. non-anon reply) write to    help@anon.penet.fi
If you have any problems, address them to          admin@anon.penet.fi

Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her
youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her
lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emissions
were like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth,
when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.

Ezekiel 23:19-21
Fight the Communications Decency Act or suffer not being able to
transmit the Bible online.
http://www.cdt.org/

I like cats, probably more than I should. They are cute,
cuddly and kill things and then lay them at my feet
in tribute.

Thread