1996-03-15 - Re: Why escrow? (was Re: How would Leahy bill affect crypto

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: ea41efa94901e2edf70e8e25db83f8c765237d7d4b4f470c34d663943785a187
Message ID: <199603132123.QAA03328@UNiX.asb.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 19:32:51 -0500

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 19:32:51 -0500
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Why escrow? (was Re: How would Leahy bill affect crypto

On 13 Mar 96 at 9:41, jim bell wrote:
> Notice, however, how the government seems to be assuming that "key escrow"
> (to the extent that it is implemented at all!) gets implemented in a way
> which is "friendly" to government agents.  They assume that there is one key

Since when is the government intentionally going to let any bill or
policy go through that isn't friendly to themselves??? (You don't
have to be an anarchist to figure that out!)

[..]
> Even the most limited planning could easily develop a system that achieves
> all the benefits of escrow for the user, but is essentially impossible for
> government agents (or for that matter, anyone else!) to use to the detriment
> of the user.

Nothing is safe from abuse, by the goverment or non-government fols
alike.  There's always more loopholes to clean up.   (Not that this
means we shouldn't clean them up... obviously bad policies should be
fixed...). Just as no crypto is 100% foolproof, no legal system is
100% abuse-proof.

Rob.

---
Send a blank message with the subject "send pgp-key" (not in
quotes) to <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com> for a copy of my PGP key.

Thread