1996-03-07 - Hmmm

Header Data

From: eggplant@inlink.com (eggplant)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f49ec967245945ab01adae2615246a2660d7929aec29866750d7bfcca7dc5b2e
Message ID: <v01510107ad62d4e24565@[206.196.98.94]>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 22:35:04 +0800

Raw message

From: eggplant@inlink.com (eggplant)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 22:35:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hmmm

>(Lots of stuff deleted)
>
>>I attended last weeks "Information, National Policies, and International
>>Infrastructure" Symposium at Harvard Law School, organized by the Global
>>Information Infrastructure Commission, the Kennedy School and the
>>Institute for Information Technology Law & Policy of Harvard Law School.
>
>>During the presentation by Paul Strassmann, National Defense University
>>and William Marlow, Science Applications International Corporation,
>>entitled "Anonymous Remailers as Risk-Free International Infoterrorists"
>>the questions was raised from audience (Professor Chaarles Nesson,
>>Harvard LAw School) - in a rather extended debate - whether the CIA and
>>similar government agencies are involved in running anonymous remailers
>>as this would be a perfect target to scan possibly illegal messages.
>
>>Both presenters explicitly acknowledged that a number of anonymous
>>remnailers in the US are run by government agencies scanning traffic.
>>Marlow said that the government runs at least a dozen remailers and that
>>the most popular remailers in France and Germany are run by the
>>respective government agencies in these countries. In addition they
>>mentioned that the NSA has successfully developed systems to break
>>encrypted messages below 1000 bit of key length and strongly suggested
>>to use at least 1024 bit keys. They said that they semselves use 1024
>>bit keys.
>
>>I ask Marlos afterwards if these comments were off or on record, he
>>paused then said that he can be quoted.
>
>>So I thought I pass that on. It seems interesting enough, don't you
>>think?
>
>(more stuff deleted)
>
>     I don't know about everyone else, but I consider this, if true, to be a
>MAJOR worry.  It never ceases to amaze me how lightly the government takes
>lying to the people.  Unfortunately I don't have the contacts or resources
>to do any further investigation, I hope this thread is resolved one way or
>another soon.
>
>nobody@unimportant

Ther is always the posibility of disinformation. That is one of the
governments specialties. I'm not saying the posibility isn't there, I'm
sure there are anon remailers run by the government. An I remember from a
show on PBS I watched months ago in which someone from inside the CIA said
that the government does actively monitor the Internet and has for a long
time.

The thing to remember is to PGP your important mail and sign everything....

--
"... In Germany they first came for the Communists and I
didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came

++++++++++++
**************************************
*	 Matthew Murphy	------------ eggplant@inlink.com
*   http://www.inlink.com/~eggplant
*   The Web page is under construciton at this time though..
*   Please don't mind the mess....
*
finger eggplant@inlink.com for my PGP key.

Thread