1996-04-08 - Re: Someone’s screwing around with anon.penet.fi

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Rosenberg” <hal9001@panix.com>
To: walter@cithe302.cithep.caltech.edu (Chris Walter)
Message Hash: 03609502e0d1a04424a7c101896b9a10eb3bdb6a9b52f503fbe4f080b2f21af4
Message ID: <v02140b02ad8e488551b4@[166.84.254.3]>
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:10:19 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:10:19 +0800
To: walter@cithe302.cithep.caltech.edu (Chris Walter)
Subject: Re: Someone's screwing around with anon.penet.fi

At 18:37 4/6/96, Chris Walter wrote:

>In article
><cypherpunks.Pine.BSF.3.91.960406114609.5026B-100000@kirk.edmweb.com>
>Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com> writes:
>
>>   Here's another one of them unsolicited messages from anon.penet.fi.
>
>I also got one of these right after I posted to cypherpunks.  I
>normally just lurk, and the address that was used is the machine I
>read and post news on(we have a gateway to the mailing list).  So I am
>pretty sure it is related to my posting to cypherpunks.
>
>I have written to the administrators at anon.penet.fi asking about this
>and informing them.  I'll pass on any relevant info they send me.

While taking to anon.penet.fi will help, the one to talk to is the list
owner and ask them to clean up their act. They should either reject any
attempt to use ANxxx@anon.penet.fi IDs in lieu of the correct
NAxxx@anon.penet.fi form, automatically convert the registration to
NAxxx@anon.penet.fi, or parse the membership list for ANxxx@anon.penet.fi
IDs and fix them to the NAxxx form. If the list is run by Majordomo, there
is a patch that fixes the problem by correcting the address list [or it may
be outgoing address] (and I think keeping it clean at subscribe time).

Thread