1996-04-24 - [An End To Noise] Wager: Permanent Resolution

Header Data

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0ae8efb25b22a3cb8ef1e30788412c227d757994e178160eb3e0f527099ac848
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9604240919.A26145-0100000@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca>
Reply To: <glTPGm200YUu5iTVd2@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-24 13:50:31 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 06:50:31 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 06:50:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [An End To Noise] Wager: Permanent Resolution

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:

> I confess I had a good laugh at Jim Bell's expense. His attempt at
> weaseling was sadly uninspired, and Black Unicorn was quite right to
> move in for the kill.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   Is it possible that we are witnessing a self-fulfilling prophecy?
I believe that we are contributing to the gradual implementation of Jim's AP
system to deal with excessive noise posting (which makes AP to be The
Assassination Posting) and unenforceable betting. It's interesting to note
that this is the side-effect of Mr. Bell's own postings on the subject
(congrats).

   I therefore bet 100 Monopoly Roubles that by the end of the "Unibell"
dispute (sometime before all the stars freeze over) a contract on the
original assassination politician's head(s) will have been successfully
carried out. I also note that Mr. Unicorn, being wealthy and having wisely
protected his anonymity is in a fine position to carry this out. without
any fear of retaliation or discovery.

   What's more, during the "No matter where you go, there they are" thread,
Jim sent a reply to Dr. Denning with the infamous cypherpunks@toad.com in
the headers. Not smart. Alas, from now on, no matter where Jim goes, Dorothy
will know. (Say, don't Uni and Denning both live around DC? Hmmm...)

   So I submit to the list that any reinvention of the AP is ultimately
self-terminating. (Though it might reduce noise and deal with unsuscrivers)

The odds aren't good, Jim. You should have been more careful.

;-)

> But to be fair to Jim Bell, perhaps $100 is still too high? I mean this
> in complete seriousness: I have to come up with nearly $2,000 cash by
> this weekend, and I wouldn't be able to make such a wager at this time,
> no matter how right I felt I was.

Watch out Declan, the frustrated gamblers on the list might take your
statements as encouragement to Jim and decide to test out the prototype
AP on you first. )8-0

Be careful folks, Little Dorothy is watching You!

Ps. As this pseudonym will disappear before September, I am quite safe,
myself.

Thread