1996-04-28 - Re: US law - World Law - Secret Banking

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: unicorn@schloss.li
Message Hash: 14f8e310d46df6ff74db027272d25139cda804903b22f36a252949853c30e2ed
Message ID: <01I41W3KEPEC8Y5319@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 16:09:52 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 16:09:52 +0800
To: unicorn@schloss.li
Subject: Re: US law - World Law - Secret Banking

From:	IN%"unicorn@schloss.li"  "Black Unicorn" 26-APR-1996 01:19:03.47

>What has consistently alarmed me is the United States trend of extending
>her own moral and ethical standards world wide.  Granted the United States
>is the foremost world economic power, but the power to control markets and
>the political power to invade the sovereignty of other states are two
>distinct issues.  The United States is, in one form or another, attempting
>to homogonize the legal systems of the world to comply with her own
>concept of what is "right" or "fair."  This is disturbing.

	I have no problems with extending US sovereignty where it will improve
civil liberties. However, about the only place where it appears to do so is
going against child labor. Otherwise, every action of the US government in
this regard appears to have been to decrease civil liberties in other countries
(and, indirectly, in the United States).

>By no means are the states of the world united on the meaning of
>anti-trust, the appropriate levels of regulation therein, or the manner in
>which to enforce these segments of the law.  That the United States should
>seek to impose her own will and concepts on foreign states strikes me as
>the antithesis of this once noble power's call, indeed the central focus
>of her foreign policy, for the self determination of all nation states.

	Well, I wouldn't say that the self-determination of nation states
is the important part. Indeed, most of the cases in which "national
sovereignty" is used as an excuse are ones in which the other country is in
the wrong. German censorship and Tianenmin (sp?) Square are excellent examples.
If patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, national sovereignty is the
last refuge of a scoundrel nation.
	I've deleted the rest of your statements because I essentially
agree with them.
	-Allen

Thread