1996-04-27 - Re: Mixmaster message formats

Header Data

From: loki@obscura.com (Lance Cottrell)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1d21a84d257df961fde55f9c97d9f816535addfaea74663199286636f6ede8a0
Message ID: <ada6f5a301021004defb@[206.170.115.3]>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:34:27 +0800

Raw message

From: loki@obscura.com (Lance Cottrell)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:34:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Mixmaster message formats

I know Raph already answered this, but I want to toss my few cents in.

It is important to understand the threat model of Mixmaster. I assumed that
all links and some remailers would be compromised. My goal was to ensure
that no information about the message was revealed except to the first and
last remailers in the chain. To borrow from physics (black hole)
terminology, the message must have no hair.

Any active padding by the remailer implies that it knows an upper limit on
the size of the actual message. If each remailer removes some information,
which must be replaced, then conspiring remailers can obtain information
about the where messages are going, by comparing size, and knowing that the
"kernel" of the message can only shrink.

This last statement is true unless remailers add extra hops, which they
encrypt. The reason this is not effective has been thoroughly discussed on
this list.

Take a look at the essay on my home page. It explains most of the design
decisions.

        -Lance Cottrell

At 5:25 PM 4/25/96, Mark M. wrote:

Lance Cottrell   loki@obscura.com
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
Mixmaster, the next generation remailer, is now available!
http://www.obscura.com/~loki/Welcome.html or FTP to obscura.com

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche