1996-04-15 - Re: X.25 [NOISE]

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: Bill Stewart <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 2c06f02dccd5ab8fc0fb394c218067f2b28f9a226ac432a46920a380825f4267
Message ID: <199604150450.VAA12551@netcom9.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:42:51 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:42:51 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: X.25 [NOISE]

At  2:45 PM 4/14/96 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:

>And, yes, it's [X.25] a lousy environment to do full-duplex character
>echo over.

I implemented and have been supporting a system with full-duplex character
echo over X.25.  I can only agree with Bill Stewart's assessment, but you
hold your nose and do it.

I have learned that an X.25 "standard" network is about as standard as a
K&R C compiler.  Sure you can talk to the network, but each network is
different in what you have to do to get it to send you the ASCII characters
so you can echo them.  Many times you have to use non-standard, network
specific extensions.

I am also responsible for getting Zmodem style data transfers to work.  To
make it work means the network must be fully 8-bit transparent, AND send
the last chunk of data eventually (within a few seconds) to complete the
transfer.  Don't even ask about getting Zmodem transfers working thru X.25
to various "Unix" systems.

Now you know why I claimed the title, "Wizard of Trailing Edge Technology"
in Dogbert's New World Order.

Regards - Bill

[To be complete, I also do work in electronic commerce, Java and other
things you see on this list.]

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread