1996-04-13 - Re: So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary?

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Message Hash: 33435ec687d3a49a83622f8251d7c7dcc3ccee0c8b9c518e36390a63b7530f37
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960412194208.27436H-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <01I3GPGIWMLG8Y50UU@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-13 14:23:06 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 22:23:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 22:23:06 +0800
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Subject: Re: So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary?

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:

> From:	IN%"unicorn@schloss.li"  "Black Unicorn"  5-APR-1996 06:26:05.96
>
> >There are ways to resist compelled discovery.  These are not they.
>
> 	Any methods you're willing to mention sans a money order?
> 	-Allen

The work I posted discusses many and weighs their strengths and weaknesses.

Generally, and not that I would support the obstruction of justice, the
key to resisting any coercion is not to leave anything valuable in the
reach of the coercer.

As an example, if you live in the U.S., and your freedom is valuable to you,
you're vulnerable.

If you own a house in the U.S., if you hold accounts in your real name in
the U.S., if you work for an employer who is in the jurisdiction of the
U.S., or if you have assets or an employer in any jurisdiction which has
judicial recognition or information shring treaties with the U.S., you're
vulnerable.

Shooting judges, if the above aren't satisified and if you're in a
jurisdiction which extradites for murder, is only going to get you in deeper.

I might add that U.S. courts won't refuse to subject you to process
because you were brought into the U.S. against your will, or in violation
of international or local law.  Even non-cooperative jurisdictions won't
always save you.  (Don't fly over or sail into international
airspace/waters either).

There was a great article in Fortune about a historic tax fugitive that
can show you how the U.S. can "getcha."  If your interested, I'll dig up
a pointer.

Generally speaking, if you really need significant asset and judgment
protection, seek the advice of a professional.  Professionals may be
expensive, but if they will be cheaper than asset forfeiture consider
consulting them.

I cannot recommend that you venture out on asset concealing or protection
schemes without professional advice, no more that I could suggest you do
your complicated tax work without professional advice.

I'll remind everyone that tax evasion and money laundering are illegal in
the United States.

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information

Thread