1996-04-27 - Re: The Joy of Java

Header Data

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
To: sameer@c2.org
Message Hash: 35173118a23359f7dd4c84dedd45e45969adcbfd847e28568a66c495c40f2c63
Message ID: <199604270053.UAA22329@universe.digex.net>
Reply To: <199604270040.RAA09526@atropos.c2.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-27 06:55:22 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:55:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:55:22 +0800
To: sameer@c2.org
Subject: Re: The Joy of Java

sameer@c2.org writes:
>> I go further. Java, as envisioned, cannot be made secure. It is too
>> powerful a language. Furthermore, it is unnecessary for the tasks that
>> it is used for, which are basically adding fancy wacky graphics and
>> simple applications and such to web pages.
>>

>	Even though that is all it is used for now, I think it was
>*intended* to be used for more.

True.  It's still lacking a couple of (non-language) features.  The
most important (and most cpunks relevant) is a mechanism to pay people
to run programs for you.  This sort of thing is dangerous without a
safe environment.  If it was safe to do so, I can see about two hundred
PowerPC systems from where I sit that are idle 90% or more.  As more
users become permanently connected to the net (cable modems and such),
there will be *millions* of computers with a little processing power
each that are available for distributed tasks.

The next generation of "Toy Story" just might be done in near real-
time.

Thread