1996-04-30 - Re: The Joy of Java

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Message Hash: 398e2a30034215bde6c6f27b2947d820db10ef1be2e0892ce8e79077a7d716c5
Message ID: <199604292122.OAA15675@netcom9.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 13:49:49 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 13:49:49 +0800
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Subject: Re: The Joy of Java

At  6:35 PM 4/28/96 -0400, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>        If Java can indeed be reworked to provide proper security (e.g., if
>Perry's incorrect in this case - everyone's falliable), then how much
>modifications are likely to be necessary? I'm currently looking at the
>possibility of learning a modern high-level computer language, and Java looks
>like one of the more promising options. (I currently know a bit of Applesoft
>Basic, Quattro Pro Macro language, VAX/VMS .COM file language, and MS-DOS
>batch file language.) In other words, I'm wondering if it's worth my while to
>learn Java now, or if I should wait (and possibly learn another language) until
>the bugs are worked out? Will removing the flaws make it such a different
>language that learning it now won't be of much use for someone like me?

I think Java is an excellent language to learn as a part of learning modern
programming languages and techniques.  Even if the bytecode verifier falls
completely on its face, you will still know a safer language than C or C++.
 (However, if the verifier falls, you may also know an obsolete language.)

The syntax of Java is similar to C and C++, which may help you learn those
languages (in the same way knowing Italian helps you learn Spanish).  The
garbage collected nature of Java may get you into bad habits when using C
or C++, but since I switch back between Assembler and Java, it is not
insurmountable.

I do not think the Java bugs are bad enough to make it a poor language for
learning.  However, it is a very young language, and "nice" programming
environments aren't quite here yet.  However, new environments are being
delivered every month, so if you demand luxury environments, you shouldn't
have to wait too long.

Regards - Bill

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread