1996-04-01 - Re: [NOISE] Nasty-Quibble-Punks

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: 4c74e9663c8b3810c7977f7075873fa9df370293074f7e7346c63d0fa8c977b0
Message ID: <m0u3bwV-0008zJC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 23:41:11 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 23:41:11 +0800
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Nasty-Quibble-Punks

At 04:06 PM 3/31/96 -0800, Mike Duvos wrote:
>"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

>Uh huh.
>
> > Incidently, EEPROMs don't work by simply charging a
> > capacitor or something silly like that. No insulator is
> > perfect, no dielectric is perfect, and charge would
> > eventually leak away were that the case. However, if it
> > were, it would be fairly easy to determine the state of a
> > cell without having to get particularly close to it. Beyond
> > that, there is this insane notion you seem to have that a
> > charged object will lose its charge if the "insulator" is
> > "stripped off" -- I wasn't under the impression a vacuum,
> > for instance, was a particularly good charge carrier.
>
>Uh huh.

Turns out Perry is wrong about this.  I believe that UV EPROMs and probably
EEPROMs do indeed work by storing charge on a buried, totally-isolated
capacitor.  The capacitor is charged with a system called "Fowler-Nordheim
tunneling," which involves placing a relatively high voltage on a nearby
electrode and causing the thin interface to temporarily conduct.  (It's odd.
 That's why it's called "tunnelling.")   The charge, surprisingly enough, is
stable for years, in fact decades, and probably (statistically) centuries at
room temperature.  The reason the charge stays around so long is that the
insulator, silicon dioxide, is extremely good.  It has to be.  If the
capacitor were, say, 1 picofarad, and the resistance was 10E18 ohms (a
billion gigohms) the resulting time constant would be 1E6 seconds, or about
12 days.  Since EPROMs obviously hold data far longer than this (well over
100 times longer, or else our computers wouldn't work!), and since the
capacitance is probably not nearly 1 pf, that tells you that the effective
resistance is far above 1E20 ohms.

UVEPROMS are erased, naturally enough, by exposing them to UV light, which
is usually produced by a mercury vapor lamp.  This UV causes enough
electrons to be excited into upper electron shells in the insulator to
temporarily turn it into a slight conductor, and the charge dissipates.  I
think EEPROMs are erased by, more or less, reversing the voltage on the
charging electrode.

As for keeping the charge when that insulator is stripped off, that would be
a problem.  It isn't that a vacuum isn't a good enough insulator; it is, but
it would be hard to imagine a technique to strip off an SiO2 insulator that
doesn't also allow a substantial amount of charge to flow.  You could strip
it off with HF (hydrofluoric acid) but that's electrically conductive.  Even
a gas-phase process would probably result in enough conductive products to
discharge the capacitor.  Ion-beam milling would also remove SiO2, but as
the name implies that's applying a current to the system.

Fortunately, all this is moot:  Since the floating gate is inherently part
of a transistor, it isn't necessary to expose it to detect its charge state:
Just activate the transistor in-circuit

BTW, some PLD's have a so-called "security bit" which (when set) is designed
to prevent reading of the state of the rest of the programmed bits.  Years
ago it occurred to me that if you knew where this particular bit was stored,
you could expose this bit location alone to a UV source through a tiny mask
to discharge it.  Finding that location wouldn't be all that hard:  Just expose
the chip with a series of exposures, moving a linear mask slightly, and
eventually the security bit will erase.  Note the location of the mask, and
rotate the mask 90 degrees and repeat the process.  At that point, you've
located the bit (this may require a few iterations), so you expose the
target part through a tiny pinhole (Edmund Scientific sells them in many
different sizes, exposing only that security bit location.

Jim "Mr. Bell talks about one field" Bell

(Let's see, I covered solid, liquid, and vapor phase chemistry, a bit of
particle physics (ion-beam milling), semiconductor physics, minor optics,
electronics, some trivial math, and maybe even some detective work!)

jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread