1996-04-04 - Re: e$ Signorage

Header Data

From: James Gleick <gleick@around.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4fa584be386340543da193353df84e80f86448466ed5a64dbc27e20c1cb20568
Message ID: <1.5.4b13.32.19960404143637.006a92b8@pop3.interramp.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 06:50:42 +0800

Raw message

From: James Gleick <gleick@around.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 06:50:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: e$ Signorage

>I believe money which is never redeemed back at the bank is called
>signorage in the currency biz.  Whatever signorage *actually* is, Kawika
>Daquio of the ABA (B for "Banking"), the Fed makes $20 billion a year on
>it. Not much against a trillion dollar federal budget, but, hey, every
>little bit helps...

Seigniorage is actually the Government's interest income on all the currency in circulation. It's not obvious, but it's true, that the Fed collects the "float" on dollar bills you carry in your pocket, exactly as American Express collects the float on traveler's checks.

And, I don't know, call me crazy, but $20 billion sounds like a lot of money to me.

--
James Gleick
gleick@around.com

Thread