1996-04-13 - Re: On computer face recognition:

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 56fb6320bfe484cea57d052fb862b0826f92c5b6e5fed51d54f2be9c2273f877
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960412155140.27436A-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <ad931b9413021004c822@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-13 04:55:45 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 12:55:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 12:55:45 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: On computer face recognition:

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> At 7:14 PM 4/11/96, David Loysen wrote:
>
> >Take a peak at http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/lawrence/papers. One of
> >Lawences papers is on using Neural networks to recognize faces. Methinks
> >that the state of the art is advancing rapidly and such problems as not
> >looking at the camera or changing your expression are rapidly being overcome.
>
> One system I read up on a few years ago relied heavily on ear shape....it
> seems that the profile of ears varies tremendously and ear profiles are
> fairly easy to get a kind of hash of, assuming the ear profile is not
> obstructed by hair.

Even ears are not perfect.  Recall the case of the pretender to the
Romanov/Feodorovich dynasty, "Anna Anderson."  Three independent experts
used ear profiles to confirm she was indeed the lost Tsarevna Anastasia, a
judgment later proved wrong by a combination of handwriting analysis, trip ups,
DNA, and the discovery of the actual Tsarevna's remains.

> "Get a haircut" may once again return to favor.

I can't cite sources, but the current doctrine is silly putty (tm).  Aside
from looking much like flesh, being easy to apply and mold, it tends to
absorb and radiate heat fairly well.  The result is a nice distortion of
IR shots of ears.  While careful analysis will reveal the putty
eventually, (it will always be somewhat cooler than the flesh) when properly
applied, silly putty (tm) will so distort the actual ear profile as to
render identification by this method alone nearly impossible.

Users with darker skintones are told to add a mixture of blue and red
food coloring to the putty.  Add salt to taste.

> --Tim May

> Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!
> We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, we know that that ain't allowed.
> ---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:----
> Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
> tcmay@got.net  408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
> W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
> Higher Power: 2^756839 - 1  | black markets, collapse of governments.
> "National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information

Thread