1996-04-29 - Re: trusting the processor chip

Header Data

From: Snow <snow@crash.suba.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 6469c7ee07431cf49f2d7e0f382e85b58e4d424c552411a8b068a0756c7cf5d6
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960428150426.2054A-100000@crash.suba.com>
Reply To: <m0uDEIm-00093vC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-29 01:49:31 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 09:49:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Snow <snow@crash.suba.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 09:49:31 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: trusting the processor chip

	I realize that when one argues with a fool, no one can tell the
difference, but as the dumbest person on the list, I figure I can learn
from just about anyone here. Not that I am calling Mr. Bell a fool.

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, jim bell wrote:
> At 12:25 AM 4/27/96 -0500, Snow wrote:
> >On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, jim bell wrote:
> >> product is subverted.  More likely,I think, an organization like the NSA
> >	I thought that most (all?) chips already radiated on the
> >electromagnetic spectrum? Isn't that what tempest is about?
> There's a difference between trying to find a needle in a haystack, and
> finding a day-glo, red-hot needle that plays music at 110 decibels in that
<snip>
> The best place to put such a chip would be a location outside the computer's
> relatively small number of different designs.

	I still maintain that this would be less feasible than either:

	a) Tempest. Why bother resubverting each new processor (think
about it, Which processor? Intel (all variants) Motorola (all variants),
Digital (Alpha) etc. When it would be easier (It seems to me at least) to
develop a system that _can_ find that needle in a hay stack, and simply
develop translators for each kind of chip (which could be done in
software I'd think) to show what the chip is doing.

	b) physcailly compromising the work enviroment so that you see
what the person is typing as well as what is on the screen. As well as
get Voice etc.

	c) This I just thought of, and is kind of a hybrid of Mr. Bells
idea and a tempest style attack, it isn't thought through real well, but
I _think_ it would work.

	Each processor would emit on a certain band, so you build a
"repeater" that takes that band, encodes it, steps it to a different band
and retrans it. This device probably could be made small enough to fit
_easily_ inside a case, and draw very little power (the transmitting
distance would not need to very far) and since most people never open
their cases, it would be fairly safe from detection. It could even be
designed to piggyback on common device interface cards (parallel/serial
cards, Video cards) so that even if one _did_ open ones case you probably
wouldn't notice.
	All that this would entail _after_ development would be a simple
B&E. This wouldn't solve the problem of decoding, but it heats the
needle, and makes it sound off at many times less cost than subverting
the chip.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered>
snow@crash.suba.com