1996-04-13 - Lotus Notes 24-bit sellout

Header Data

From: Jerry Whiting <jwhiting@igc.apc.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 70319cb6d20c1702e207904593fd012829ec041340f386a2866019a6af4c12f5
Message ID: <199604121621.JAA01379@igc2.igc.apc.org>
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 14:54:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Jerry Whiting <jwhiting@igc.apc.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 14:54:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Lotus Notes 24-bit sellout

When Ray Ozzie announced the work reduction sellout at the RSA conference,
both he and Ms Denning (whom I spoke with about it later) mentioned that
there was something else in Lotus Notes 4 besides the 40+24 bit compromise.

My thought is that the NSA gave them something else in exchange for the
mandatory escrow scheme they're all talking about publicly.  Perhaps some
other crypto code the NSA had lying around unused.

So looking for a common 24-bit subkey may reduce Notes' key to a 40-bit
brute force exercise but the 40+24 is probably not ALL that's in Notes 4.

Definitely a deal with the Devil.  Given that we're talking about IBM, not
Lotus none of this surprises me given IBM's Lucifer/DES history with spook
input years ago.  Then again to be fair, I don't know if the 40+24 deal
was cooked up before or after the IBM/Lotus merger.

Jerry Whiting
Azalea Software, Inc.

P.S.  Yes, I'm the one doing carrick "Encryption software so good, the Feds
won't let us export it."  In fact, we schedule for a visit from the NSA
next month regarding our desire to export carrick to Australia.  The mere
mention of a Blowfish-based crypto product left my assigned spook momentarly
speechless.  Something tells me they ain't gonna let carrick out of the
country with a key length worth using.  AND I DEFINITELY AIN'T INTERSTED
IN MAKING A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL.

Thread