1996-04-19 - Re: Eudora Mac Pro 3.0

Header Data

From: Raph Levien <raph@cs.berkeley.edu>
To: Steven Weller <stevenw@best.com>
Message Hash: 7a386729b19c9adaaa0a4314128b3a70929c4caca5aab1584eac7e073201693b
Message ID: <317727E9.A3A2824@cs.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <v01540b01ad9c8d2cb5d3@[206.86.1.35]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-19 12:39:11 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 20:39:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Raph Levien <raph@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 20:39:11 +0800
To: Steven Weller <stevenw@best.com>
Subject: Re: Eudora Mac Pro 3.0

Steven Weller wrote:

> From the list of new features:
>
> New Translation Services API: this is a programming interface that will make it
>        easier for other software applications to simply plug into Eudora
> Pro software,
>        opening up a whole new world of uses for e-mail. For example,
> natural language
>        translation products that can translate a message from English to
> some other
>        language. Another example is a security application that could
> automatically
>        encrypt/decrypt your messages.
>
> Interesting....
>
> http://www.qualcomm.com/quest/mac30B.html

Yep. This is the real thing. Qualcomm seems quite serious about making
sure that real encryption is widely available in the Eudora world,
without adversely affecting their ability to export Eudora itself.

I've exchanged PGP/MIME messages with the people at Qualcomm who
developed a plug-in for this API. It worked great the first try. I was
impressed. The PGP/MIME plugin is based on Apple Events communicating
with MacPGP, which isn't perfect, but it's probably the best that's
possible until either PGP 3.0 gets its act together or someone else
implements PGP message formats.

Raph

Thread