1996-04-19 - Re: why compression doesn’t perfectly even out entropy

Header Data

From: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 83e6f0770cd4e7dd69171b12b89203ebccafc17983e34fc2686754fb4efc2a96
Message ID: <199604190607.XAA17848@mage.qualcomm.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 20:09:03 +0800

Raw message

From: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 20:09:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: why compression doesn't perfectly even out entropy

Perry Metzger writes:

> > 1.  If "cooking" a byte sequence in a manner that reduces its
> > maximum entropy by less than 1% allows an attacker to break your
> > cryptosystem, then it is crap to begin with.  With only a little
> > more effort, he could break it anyway.
>
> I would suggest that you look at differential and linear cryptanalysis
> to learn what a tiny little statistical toehold will give you.
>
> My "ad hominem PSA" stands. I suggest people not trust Mr. Wienke's
> pronouncements. He appears to be suffering from significant hubris.

No, he's correct; cryptanalytic schemes like those you mention rely
on statistical toeholds *in the context of a deterministic cipher
algorithm*.  For one-time pads that are "cooked" or "screened" (and
I agree that it's a silly thing to do), the toehold is much weaker,
infinitesimal in fact.

For example, suppose we take 1024-bit blocks from a physical RNG
(which we'll agree is "good", has entropy close to 1024 bits,
whatever that means).  There are 2^1024 such blocks.  Obtain one
and apply the magical test---if the block fails, toss it in the
bit bucket. Suppose, conservatively, that half the sequences fail.
The cryptanalyst now knows that the plaintext cannot be
( failed_pad xor ciphertext ) for any of the 2^1023 failed_pads.
Thus, it must be one of the other 2^1023.  This is the *only*
toehold he gets.

Cheers,
Peter Monta   pmonta@qualcomm.com
Qualcomm, Inc./Globalstar