1996-04-10 - Re: Job at C2.NET

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 86b42d9c1f59a03f0e058da5c8bbd892f6e7d9c2580048268641f369f691a32a
Message ID: <199604092335.QAA14762@netcom13.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199604091734.KAA01513@atropos.c2.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-10 14:21:47 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 22:21:47 +0800

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 22:21:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Job at C2.NET

> JUNIOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR / TECHNICAL SUPPORT

My experience has been that few people flock to apply for
jobs whose titles contain certain magic words like "junior"
or "trainee."  Such things can be embarrassing when explaining
to professional friends exactly what one does for a living.

Since titles cost nothing, compared to real perqs like an office
with a window, expensive furniture, or sliding doors opening out
into a lush tropical garden, it behooves employers to make them
as impressive-sounding as possible.  It's sort of the high-tech
version of McDonalds' "Burger Flipper of the Month" plaque.

Might I therefore suggest some alternatives...

             DEPUTY SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR
             ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION
             SENIOR TECHNICAL CONSULTANT, UNIX SERVER DIVISION
             SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT FOR ONLINE SERVICES

Nothing to do with crypto, of course, but it does help to give
the junior dorks some self-esteem.  :)

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread