1996-04-29 - Re: Cell Kill 2

Header Data

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCri_Kaljundi?= <jk@stallion.ee>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8b52f73057ff82b1a1db85a6179641ec37185861e6a87b0397741176697603ef
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.93.960429122853.21405C-100000@happyman>
Reply To: <199604271851.OAA28554@pipe4.nyc.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-29 17:09:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 01:09:42 +0800

Raw message

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCri_Kaljundi?= <jk@stallion.ee>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 01:09:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cell Kill 2

>    The Russians seem to agree. On April 21, two Russian
>    laser-guided missiles reportedly zeroed in on the cellular
>    telephone of Dzhokhar M. Dudayev, leader of the Chechen
>    rebels, and killed him.

As far as I know, he was using a satellite phone (probably Inmarsat) on
open ground outside a building. They had been using satellite phones
before, but usually they were transmitting one-way information only
(either voice or video), which had been recorded before, so Dudajev was
not near at the time of connections. This time it had to be two-way,
because he was negotiating with Moscow officials.

BTW Dudajev was living in Estonia for a long time (before he started
fighting for Chechen independence), being the head of Russian air forces
located in Estonia. Now the building where he was working has been
reconstructed as an hotel, and there is a special Dudajev suite, in case
someone is visiting Estonia :) Estonian people are also very supportive
for Chechen fight for independence.

Juri Kaljundi
jk@stallion.ee
AS Stallion